The District of Muskoka has proposed a new Official Plan that will, if enacted, allow the redevelopment of Muskoka's 80 plus resorts (like Caribou Lodge) into high density condos. These redevelopments could create dense communities on the shores of Muskoka lakes that do not comply with the strict building limits imposed on Muskoka cottage lots. This proposal has met significant resistance from many cottagers and residents as you would expect. It is important for anyone who has concerns about this proposal to learn more about it and let the Muskoka politicians know of your concerns.
For more info visit:
- Save Muskoka with tips on what you can do.
- Ontario's Muskoka cottagers wary of proposals to ease development limits by the Globe and Mail.
- Evolution of resorts: residential shift sets off alarms in Muskoka by MuskokaRegion.com
- Condos, sneaky resorts and the future of the Muskoka waterfront by MuskokaRegion.com
About 300 people attended a Public Meeting in Bracebridge on Nov 23rd. 49 of the 53 people that spoke raised concerns about the proposed change.
For news about this meeting visit:
- Save Muskoka
- Ontario cottage country to reconsider development limits around lakes by Globe and Mail.
- Backlash prompts review of Muskoka OP resort-residential proposal by MuskokaRegiona.com