Jan 31st 2018 is the deadline for written comments on the second draft of the Muskoka Official Plan that will guide growth and physical change across Muskoka for the next 20 years.
The October 2017 version of this plan proposed that Muskoka resorts could develop 50% of their properties with residential units. Some of the concerns about this proposal include:
- Resort owners don't currently have to comply with the stringent development regulations enforced on cottagers and residential lake owners.
- Ensuring services such as water supply, sewage treatment, infrastructure roads and waste management can handle the additional burden.
- The long term impact of dense waterfront development on wildlife and water quality.
- There is a risk that developers will build, take their profits, and then build elsewhere, leaving behind the environmental challenges created in their wake.
There are several options for submitting your comments:
2) Email your comments to OPReview@muskoka.on.ca
3) Mail your comments to:
Attention: Shaping Muskoka Official Plan Review 70 Pine Street Bracebridge On P1L 1N3
4) Call with 705-645-2100 extension 388 with your comments